Morocco has existed since ancient times with different civilizations occupying the region because of its critical location. Marrakech used to be the old Capital of Morocco and a major crossroad for Caravans on their way to Europe. The city had trade of herbs, spices, slaves . . I live in Marrakech and I know the whole city, so I will show you the hidden sites and help you understand the history of this red city. The presence of the Jews in Morocco is about 2000 years , and they were living in quarters called Mellah , In this tour you will discover the different architecture , buildings with balconies , they look like Spanish or European Style , The Jews and the Moors fled persecution from southern of Spain in 1492 and in different periods , you will walk through the quarter , take photos , visit the synagogue, jewish cemetry (no visit on Saturday) , see herbs and spices , learn about the history of the Jews in marrakech and all of Morocco Also visit some other major sites
– I will meet you in the lobby of your Riad /hotel and start the full day sightseeing tour.
– We will start with visiting the Jewish sites. We will begin the tour by walking through the 16th century Mellah or the Jewish quarter where the Jews used to live. Discover the Spanish architecture there.
– Continue on to the synagogue Laazama that was built in 1492
Visit the synagogue from inside and have a look at the museum of photos (closed on Saturday). Nearby is the Jewish cemetery Jewish cemetery that you can also visit (also closed on Saturday).
– I will provide you with all the necessary information about the presence of the Jews in Morocco which is part of Morocco history.
– Then walk to Bahia Palace. Have a rest and lunch.
– Visit other major sites if you like such as the nice colourful souks / market places and the main Square
This is a brief idea about the itinerary but I can make some changes according to what you are interested to see.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Hotel
Duration: 5 hours
The weather and traffic may affect the duration of the tour.
The car and driver are provided if the hotel is far from the Medina.
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
ESTIMATED LOCAL CASH NEEDED
1000 Dhs – Shops and restaurants accept cards .
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks